Diigo - The best feature of Diigo is being able to mark up a website (with highlights, underlines, post-it notes capabilities) and share this with someone else. Aside from that, I don't bookmark much as I can always just find the page again using Google search features. For people that are less savvy at searching, or to scaffold an assignment for a student or a whole class, creating a list of resources on Diigo is super helpful.
Little Bird Tales - Great that kids can login with a school code rather than an email. Great for COPA laws. Like VoiceThread, you can include images and voice. Unlike VoiceThread, this sort of makes a narrated slideshow. Simple to use, powerful for the right child or assignment, but not collaborative. I'm definitely going to show this to the K-2 and 3-5 technology integrators and to the language teachers.
Popplet - There are many similar sites to Popplet that assist help students with mind-mapping and aggregation of resources. Mindmeister, MyWebspiration, MindMapper, Wallwisher and others also allow for collaborative mind maps and sticky notes and multimedia. These are great for getting students to jot down key ideas (brainstorm) before trying to (or even bothering to) organize their thoughts into a more formal outline. The popples can include text, photos, videos, and illustrations and can be color coded for organizational purposes. I'd been wanting to use Popplet, and suggested a project idea to a 6th grade math teacher where we'd post subject specific Popplets about Geometry, Algebra, Tessellations, etc. Here's the Popplet I made with my group-mate, Allison: http://popplet.com/app/#/508852
Prezi - I was wowed very quickly by Prezi, and just as quickly super annoyed by it. A few years ago, Prezis were new and omnipresent and the resulting presentations I sat through made me sea sick from all the zooming in/out, animations, graphics, etc. However, when done well, they make for very slick and dynamic presentations with smooth(ish) transitions between topics, key words, illustrations, and supporting media.
TitanPad - Was formerly EtherPad. Which is like Write.ly which Google bought and turned into GoogleDocs. I use GoogleDocs and the rest of the GoogleApps all the time. It has changed the way my students and teachers work together. Kids take online quizzes on a GoogleForm. Their results are tabulated into a GoogleSpreadsheet and can be analyzed from there. Similarly, kids enter science data into a collaborative GoogleSpreadsheet and share data all the time. They use GoogleDocs either shared just with the teacher or with other members of the class. They create and use GoogleSites all the time, and teachers set up subject or grade-level sites. I made one for the Middle Division to gather resources over time, and I also make one for every class that travels with them from year to year.
Stixy - Is like Popplet (and Glogster and WallWisher and all the other ones I listed above)...
VoiceThread - I love VoiceThread. I've used it for 6 or 7 years to support various projects, most notably in Spanish where kids can record themselves describing something (summer vacations, a painting, their family members, etc.) In terms of UDL and special needs students, it enables them to speak rather than write, and they can hear rather than read. Additionally, it makes it easier for teachers to assess oral and aural skills. Also, having all students' responses on one web page means not having to navigate to any other page/site.
No comments:
Post a Comment